Fluker's Premium Heat Mat Small (6x11)
As poikilotherms, reptiles are extremely dependent on having access to a sun-like source of heat where they can warm their bodies as needed to regulate their metabolism. The purpose of a basking lamp is to simulate the heat produced by the sun, and thus support reptiles' thermoregulatory needs. Both diurnal and nocturnal reptiles should have access to a heat lamp and basking temperatures appropriate to their species.
The purpose of a heat mat is different from that of a heat lamp. Given that heat mats produce a weaker form of infrared ("radiant" heat), heat mats are not suitable for simulating the sun as a primary heat source, but they are good at re-creating the effect of a surface that has been warmed by the sun. This makes them particularly useful as secondary heat sources for nocturnal and crepuscular reptiles!
Dimensions: 6" x 11"
Instructions for Use:
Place the Fluker's Premium Heat Mat on the extreme left or right side of the terrarium to create a temperature gradient. The mat should cover roughly 1/3 of the terrarium's floor space. Heat mats work best with a thin (<2" layer of substrate).
- To protect against electrical hazards, DO NOT immerse cords, plug or heater itself in water or any other liquid.
- Close supervision is necessary when using heater by or near children.
- ALWAYS unplug from electrical outlet when heater is not in use.
- DO NOT operate your heat mat if cord or plug has been damaged or if the heater itself malfunctions or becomes damaged in any way. Return all malfunctioning appliances to the manufacturer for examination.
- DO NOT use the heat mat for anything other than intended use.
- DO NOT use pins or other metallic objects to fasten the pad of the heater in place.
- DO NOT place on tanks with cracked or broken surfaces.
- Save all instructions for your reference.